- - Engineering
- MN, USA
- Full Time
- Health Insurance, Dental, Life, 401K, Vacation Time, Personal Time, Flex-Time and more
Fey Industries, Inc. in Edgerton, MN seeks a full-time Engineering Manager to join our growth focused, forward thinking organization. The ideal candidate is driven by leading, coaching and developing a creative thinking team that focuses on delivering a positive customer experience (both externally and internally). If you find fulfillment in "making it uniquely better and simplified", this is the position for you.
Fey Industries, Inc. is a QCA accredited light manufacturing company who operates in a clean, climate controlled, work environment and strives to have a culture representing family values. If you enjoy being a team player and strive to continuously grow your knowledge and skill base, then this is an excellent opportunity for you. This role is geared for those who are results driven. We are a dynamic team of people that are passionate about what we do both at work and within the community. We believe in helping our team members live our core values throughout each day: being a team player, doing the right thing, driving results and making it uniquely better and simplified.
To the Engineering Manager we offer:
• Exempt FLSA Status
• Health Insurance (majority company paid), Dental and Life Insurance
• Paid time off and flex time
• Onsite gym including basketball court, racquetball court and locker rooms
• And more!
Fey Industries, Inc. started in 1965 to provide branded promotional packaging products that enhance the image of other organizations and continues to grow with additional product lines and acquisitions. We pride ourselves on achieving Quality Certification Alliance (QCA) accreditation for the promotional product industry. We are 1 of 22 to be QCA accredited. Our purpose is brightening the world through our actions which includes the impact we create with our products, jobs and communications. For more information about us, please visit our website at http://www.feyindustries.com/.
1) Deliver on the established goals and metrics for this role
2) Own the Engineering Process ensuring it is functioning at a high level with continual curiosity how to make it uniquely better and simplified.
3) Own departmental opportunity list, leveraging it for organizational improvement.
4) Align direct reports with the corporate goals and strategies, cascading into tactics at the departmental and individual level.
5) Build talent of direct reports with leading and coaching to ensure Engineering and Tool and Die departments operate effectively to deliver on customer experience (externally and internally)
6) Make performance and opportunities visible; inspiring team member experience with their owning performance and being curious on making improvements.
7) Maintain awareness of and apply relevant new technologies, materials and processes in the product and tooling design process
8) Be a resource to the Sales Department to provide technical expertise (as needed) with customers
9) Leadership + Management = Accountability/Active Management
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Directs and coordinates the activities of the Engineering and Tool & Die departments.
- Builds talent of direct reports through use of Playbook Tools, coaching, role modeling, explaining the why, quarterly conversations, focus walks, and aligning priorities.
- Develop, maintain and deliver robust, automated and streamlined engineering processes; ensure communication of such across appropriate departments.
- Ensure timely and accurate application of creatively designed products/tools which reduce production time, minimize process steps and scrap.
- Provide clear leadership and expectations, inspire and motivate staff to achieve excellence and mentor them. Validated with team members able to articulate expectations and objectives.
- Delivers on key performance indicators across circles of influence through personal engagement using focus walks, daily operating reports, and validating processes are functioning well.
- Adeptly uses root cause analysis and IDS sessions in identifying opportunities and action plans.
- Enhances and reinforces scalable and repeatable processes/business systems, ensuring operating processes are functioning well and utilized effectively.
- Forward looking planning to see the horizon, evaluate the likely challenges, mitigate fire-fighting, take action to capitalize on opportunities, mitigate risks, develop opportunities, do resource planning and position team for success.
- Leverage process improvement within the department and the broader company; streamlining and automating to reduce time and costs, enabling revenue growth.
- Understandings manufacturing and decorating technologies utilized within the company. Proficient with company's computer systems, programs and reporting.
- Agile, ability to make changes and grow.
- Apply Good Engineering Principles to product, tooling and fixture designs; enabling quick set-ups/changeovers.
- Ensure effectiveness and accuracy of Engineering documentation including Specification Sheets, Drawings, Routings, Bill of Materials, ECR/ECO with functional knowledge of PCM.
- Collaborate with Product Development/Sales/Marketing in the development of new products and tooling.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to align his/her actions with the company values and perform at a high level demonstrating they get it, want it and have capacity to do it. The requirements within this job description are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
This position has the following requirements:
• Bachelors Degree in Engineering plus working experience in the field.
• Experience in high mix, low volume manufacturing environment
• Proficient with commonly-used engineering concepts, practices, and procedures.
• Experience in developing, implementing and maintaining Engineering procedures and protocols.
• Fluent with root cause analysis for effective problem solving
• Curious to continuously make things uniquely better and simplified
• Knowledge of and experience with Solidworks, 3-D CAD, Draftsight
• Leading and managing others preferred.
• Strong written and verbal communications skills, along with attention to detail.
• Demonstrated career of driving results
All the design work is done using Solidworks 3-D CAD or Draftsight for 2-D work. Tooling is made in house on CNC equipment. Position requires leader to maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Leads and manages a team of 5-10 direct reports representing Engineering and Tool & Die departments. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units. Carries out management responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training associates; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining team members; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of leaders, customers, and the general public.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of or become fluent with company's systems and programs leveraging the system automation to facilitate completion of job duties. Along with Microsoft: Word, Excel, Powerpoint.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the associate is regularly required to talk, hear, and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The associate is frequently required to sit. The associate is occasionally required to stand; walk and reach with hands and arms. The associate may occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a person encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the person is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually low.
Other Qualifications: Must be available for occasional travel based on company needs.